If you’re no longer using your Branch account, you may want to close, delete, or deactivate it. This will prevent any further transactions from occurring and protect your personal information.
In this guide, we will walk you through the process of closing your Branch account in three different ways whether through online, by phone, or in person at a Branch office.
What is Branch?
Branch is a mobile financial services platform that offers a variety of features, including checking and savings accounts, debit cards, and financial wellness tools. Branch is designed to be a convenient and affordable way to manage your money.
Reasons for Closing, Deleting, or Deactivating Your Branch Account
There are various reasons why you might consider closing, deleting, or deactivating your Branch account. Some common reasons include:
- Switching to a different financial provider: If you’ve found a new bank or financial app that better suits your needs, you may want to close your Branch account.
- No longer using Branch’s services: If you’ve stopped using Branch’s features and no longer find it relevant to your financial management, you may opt for deletion or deactivation.
- Privacy concerns: If you have privacy concerns regarding your data stored on Branch’s servers, you may choose to delete or deactivate your account.
- Account inactivity: If your Branch account has been inactive for an extended period, the bank may automatically close or deactivate it to comply with regulations.
Prerequisites for Closing, Deleting, or Deactivating Your Branch Account
Before proceeding with closing, deleting, or deactivating your Branch account, it’s essential to ensure that certain prerequisites are met:
Outstanding advances: If you have any outstanding advances or loans taken through Branch, you must first settle these balances before closing or deleting your account.
Negative account balance: If your Branch account has a negative balance, you need to clear this balance before proceeding. This may involve transferring funds from another account or paying off the outstanding amount.
Pending transactions: If you have any pending transactions, such as scheduled payments or transfers, ensure they are completed or canceled before closing or deleting your account.
If you have any open disputes regarding unauthorized transactions or discrepancies, resolve these issues before proceeding.
How to close Your Branch Account
- To close your Branch account in person:
- Visit a Branch physical location.
- Inform a Branch representative of your intention to close the account.
- Provide valid government-issued identification, such as a driver’s license or passport.
- Complete and sign the account closure form provided by the representative.
- Return any associated Branch cards or devices, such as a debit card or physical cardholder.
How to deleteYour Branch Account
To delete your Branch account online or through the app:
- Go to the Branch app or website using your registered credentials.
- Navigate to the account settings section.
- Locate the option to delete or deactivate your account. This may be labeled as “Delete Account” or “Deactivate Account.”
- Confirm the deletion request. You may be asked to re-enter your password for security purposes.
Wait for an email confirmation from Branch. This confirmation email will notify you.
How to deactivate Your Branch Account
To deactivate your Branch account through customer support,
- Contact Branch customer support through phone, email, or chat. The support options are available within the app or on the Branch website. Also, express your desire to deactivate your Branch account. What this means is that you should clearly state your intention to deactivate the account rather than close or delete it.
- Provide your account information for verification. This may include your registered email address, phone number, or the last four digits of your Branch card.
- Confirm the deactivation request. Once the representative verifies your identity and agrees to deactivate the account, confirm your request.
- Receive a confirmation message from Branch. This message will notify you that your account has been deactivated.
Closing, deleting, or deactivating your Branch account is a straightforward process that can be accomplished through either in-person, online, or customer support methods. Remember to settle any outstanding balances, resolve pending transactions, and address open disputes before proceeding with account closure or deletion. If you choose to deactivate your account, you can reactivate it at any time to regain full access.
How do I cancel my branch card?
There are two ways to cancel your Branch card, these include;
Through the Branch app
- Open the Branch app and log in to your account.
- Tap on the “Profile” icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- Select “Card” from the menu.
- Tap on the “Cancel Card” button.
- Enter your PIN to confirm the cancellation.
Or by calling Branch customer support
- Call Branch customer support at (866) 547-2413.
- Tell the customer service representative that you want to cancel your card.
- Provide the customer service representative with your account information.
- The customer service representative will cancel your card and send you a confirmation email.
Can your phone deactivate your bank card?
No, your phone cannot deactivate your bank card. The magnetic field generated by your phone is not strong enough to damage the magnetic strip on your card. However, if you are concerned about your card being demagnetized, you can store it in a case that is designed to protect it from magnetic fields.
What does deregister mean in banking?
In banking, deregistering typically refers to removing or revoking a user’s access to a specific service or feature. This could involve disconnecting a linked account, disabling a payment method, or canceling a subscription.