In the world of mobile payments technology, there are two titans that stand head and shoulders above the rest: Opay and M-Pesa. Both platforms have revolutionized the way people in Africa make and receive payments, and they are constantly vying for market dominance.
So, which platform is the best? This article aims to provide a comprehensive comparison of Opay and M-Pesa, analyzing their features, benefits, and drawbacks, to help users make an informed choice between the two platforms.
What is Opay?
Opay, a prominent mobile payment platform, that was launched in 2018 by Opera Software. It is a mobile payment and financial services platform that operates in Nigeria, Egypt, Pakistan, and Mexico.With a user-friendly interface and a wide range of financial services, Opay has collected a considerable user base.
What is M-Pesa?
M-Pesa, a pioneering mobile payment platform, was introduced by Safaricom, Kenya’s leading telecommunications provider, in 2007. Since then, it has become a game-changer in the financial services industry. M-Pesa’s success in Kenya led to its expansion to other countries across Africa and beyond.
Opay Features and Services
Opay offers a different set of features and services to its users, some of these features include:
1. Mobile Money Transfer: Opay enables users to send and receive money within seconds, making it convenient for everyday transactions and remittances.
2. Bill Payments: Users can pay their utility bills, such as electricity, water, and internet, through the Opay platform, streamlining bill management.
3. Airtime Purchase: Top-up your mobile phone with airtime directly through the Opay app, eliminating the need for physical vouchers.
4. Savings and Investments: Opay provides users with access to savings accounts and investment opportunities, promoting financial inclusion.
M-Pesa Features and Services
M-Pesa like many other Fintech platforms offer diverse features as well. They include;
1. Person-to-Person (P2P) Transfers: M-Pesa facilitates quick and secure P2P transfers, enabling users to send money to friends and family across different regions.
2. Lipa Na M-Pesa: This feature allows users to pay for goods and services at participating merchants using their M-Pesa balance or linked bank account.
3. M-Shwari Savings: M-Pesa’s M-Shwari service provides users with a micro-savings platform, encouraging a savings culture among individuals.
4. International Money Transfers: M-Pesa enables international remittances, allowing users to receive money from abroad directly into their M-Pesa accounts.
5. Business Payments: M-Pesa provides solutions for businesses to pay salaries, suppliers, and manage transactions efficiently.
Opay User Experience and Accessibility
Opay boasts a user-friendly interface, making it easy for both seasoned tech and novice users to navigate the app seamlessly. The platform is available on both Android and iOS devices, catering to a wide user base. Opay’s intuitive design enhances accessibility, ensuring that users can conduct transactions swiftly.
M-Pesa User Experience and Accessibility
M-Pesa’s user experience has evolved significantly since its inception. The platform now offers a user-friendly app and USSD-based services, making it accessible to users with basic feature phones. M-Pesa’s extensive agent network across various regions further enhances its accessibility, allowing users to deposit or withdraw cash easily.
Opay Security and Privacy
Opay places a strong emphasis on user security and privacy. The platform deploys advanced encryption techniques to safeguard user data and financial transactions. Additionally, Opay complies with regulatory requirements to protect user information from unauthorized access.
M-Pesa Security and Privacy
M-Pesa takes security and privacy seriously to maintain the trust of its users. With cutting-edge security protocols, M-Pesa ensures that financial transactions are encrypted and protected from potential threats. Moreover, M-Pesa adheres to strict privacy policies to safeguard user data.
- Mobile money transfer: NGN 1.00 for transfers within the same network, and NGN 2.00 for transfers to other networks.
- Bill payment: NGN 10.00 for bills up to NGN 1,000, and NGN 20.00 for bills above NGN 1,000.
- Airtime top-up: NGN 1.00 for airtime up to NGN 1,000, and NGN 2.00 for airtime above NGN 1,000.
- Merchant payments: NGN 2.00 per transaction.
- Mobile money transfer: Ksh 1.00 for transfers within the same network, and Ksh 2.00 for transfers to other networks.
- Bill payment: Ksh 10.00 for bills up to Ksh 1,000, and Ksh 20.00 for bills above Ksh 1,000.
- Airtime top-up: Ksh 1.00 for airtime up to Ksh 1,000, and Ksh 2.00 for airtime above Ksh 1,000.
- Merchant payments: Ksh 2.00 per transaction.
Opay Customer Support
Opay offers customer support through various channels, including email, phone, and in-app chat. Users can reach out to the support team to resolve any issues or seek clarification regarding transactions.
M-Pesa Customer Support
M-Pesa provides comprehensive customer support through its call center and customer care agents available at M-Pesa outlets. Users can receive assistance regarding their M-Pesa accounts and transactions.
So, which platform is the best?
That’s a tough question to answer, as both Opay and M-Pesa have their own strengths and weaknesses. Opay is newer and more innovative, while M-Pesa has a longer track record and a larger user base.
Opay is like a young lion, full of energy and ambition. It’s constantly expanding its reach and adding new features. For example, Opay recently launched a merchant payment service that allows businesses to accept payments from customers without a physical POS terminal. This is a major innovation that could have a big impact on the way businesses in Africa operate.
M-Pesa, on the other hand, is like a wise old elephant. It’s been around for a long time and knows the African market inside and out. M-Pesa has a vast network of agents and merchants, and it’s trusted by millions of users.
So, which platform should you choose?
It depends on your needs. If you’re looking for a platform that’s constantly innovating and adding new features, then Opay is a good choice. But if you’re looking for a platform that’s reliable and has a large user base, then M-Pesa is a better option.
Lastly, the best way to decide is to try both platforms and see which one you prefer.
Which country owns OPay?
OPay is owned by Opera Software, a Norwegian company. However, the company is headquartered in Lagos, Nigeria, and it operates in Nigeria, Egypt, Pakistan, and Mexico.
What is the full meaning of OPay?
The full meaning of OPAY is Official Payments Corporation.
Is OPay approved by CBN?
Yes, OPay is approved by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). In 2019, the CBN granted OPay a license to operate as a Payment Service Provider (PSP).
How old is OPay in Nigeria?
OPay was launched in Nigeria in August 2018. So, OPay is 5 years old in Nigeria.