Opay is a versatile mobile payment and financial services platform that empowers users to perform a wide array of financial transactions, including sending and receiving money, paying bills, purchasing airtime and data, and accessing various other financial services.
While Opay typically requires users to provide their Bank Verification Number (BVN) for account setup, there is a way to open an Opay account without a BVN. In this guide, we’ll walk you through the process step by step.
What is Opay?
Opay is a mobile payment and financial services platform that was originally introduced in Nigeria back in 2016. This innovative platform is owned and operated by Opera Software, a prominent Norwegian tech company. Opay has garnered immense popularity, boasting over 30 million users in Nigeria alone and extending its services to other African countries such as Ghana, Kenya, and Tanzania.
What is BVN?
BVN, which stands for Bank Verification Number, is a unique 11-digit identifier assigned to every bank account holder in Nigeria. This system serves a dual purpose: it verifies the identity of bank account holders and plays a pivotal role in preventing fraudulent activities within the banking sector.
Why Do You Need BVN to Open an Opay Account?
Opay, like many other financial service providers, requires users to furnish their BVN during the account creation process. This BVN requirement serves as a crucial security measure to verify the user’s identity and mitigate the risk of fraud. However, Opay also extends the option to open an account without a BVN, albeit with certain limitations.
How to Open an Opay Account Without BVN
If you wish to open an Opay account without a BVN, follow these comprehensive steps:
Step 1: Download the Opay App
Begin by downloading the Opay app from either the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store, depending on your device’s operating system.
Step 2: Create an Account
After installing the app, open it and proceed to create your Opay account.
Step 3: Verify Your Phone Number
During the account setup, you will be prompted to enter your phone number. Opay will send a one-time password (OTP) to the provided phone number. Enter this OTP to verify your phone number.
Step 4: Set Up a Password
Following phone number verification, set up a secure password for your Opay account. Ensure that it’s a strong password to safeguard your financial information.
Step 5: Add Money to Your Account
To start using your Opay account, you’ll need to add funds. Opay offers various methods to load money into your account, including through agents, at physical locations, and via other convenient means.
Limitations of an Opay Account Without BVN
While opening an Opay account without a BVN is possible, it comes with certain limitations:
- Transaction Limits:Users with accounts lacking BVN verification can only send and receive a maximum of N50,000 per day.
- Bank Transfers: You cannot add money to your Opay account using a bank transfer if your account is not BVN-verified.
- ATM Withdrawals: Account holders without BVN verification are unable to withdraw money from their Opay account at an ATM.
How to Add BVN to Your Opay Account
If you’d like to remove these limitations and enjoy the full range of Opay services, you can easily add your BVN to your Opay account:
1. Open the Opay app.
2. Click on the “Me” icon, typically located in the bottom navigation menu.
3. Select “Profile” from the options provided.
4. Locate and click on “Upgrade Account.”
5. You will be prompted to enter your BVN.
6. After entering your BVN, click on “Verify BVN.”
By completing these steps, you’ll successfully add your BVN to your Opay account, unlocking its full potential.
Can I use Nin to open OPay?
Yes, you can use your NIN to open an OPay account. OPay currently accepts the following identification documents for account opening:
- National Identification Number (NIN)
- Bank Verification Number (BVN)
- Voter’s Card
- International Passport
- Driver’s License
- National ID Card
What is the maximum deposit for OPay account?
The maximum deposit for an OPay account depends on the level of KYC (Know Your Customer) verification you have completed.
- KYC Level 0: This is the default level for newly created accounts. You can only deposit up to ₦300,000 in your account.
- KYC Level 1: You can increase your deposit limit to ₦500,000 by providing your BVN and a valid ID.
- KYC Level 2: You can increase your deposit limit to ₦1,000,000 by providing additional information such as your address and date of birth.
- KYC Level 3: You can increase your deposit limit to an unlimited amount by providing your bank statement and other financial documents.
Can I use one BVN for two OPay accounts?
Yes, you can use a BVN for more than one OPAY accounts.
That’s all about how to open OPAY account without BVN. I hope you find this helpful. Make sure you comment below if you have any question. Thank youX